History of St. Michael & All Angels, Buckland Dinham
Parts of St Michael’s church date back to around 1200 while the north chapel was added in 1325 and the tower in 1480. The church was restored in the late 19th Century to its present form.
Notable features include:
• A peal of 8 bells, restored in 1994, which are highly regarded by visiting bell-ringing groups. They ring from an open gallery, rebuilt at the same time, at the west end of the church.
• The 13th century font with unusual decoration around the top in two contrasting patterns.
• Effigies on the floor of the North Chapel, believed to be of Sir John Dinham (died 1322) and his wife Margaret, from whom the village takes its name.
• A Jacobean pulpit, with the shallow carving typical of the time (heavy decoration was disapproved of).
• The attractive Victorian lych gate. It’s a distinctive landmark, and the village is raising funds for its restoration.
A detailed booklet (yellow cover) is available in the Church for a donation of £2.