MINUTES OF A MEETING OF THE PCC
Held using Zoom
The meeting was chaired by The Rector
NOTE: Due to the Covid -19 lockdown no elections have taken place, so the PCC members and officers appointed in 2019 are still in place.
The Rector played the song “Be still and know that I am God” and led an Opening prayer.
The meeting Dwelt in the Word – on 2 Corinthians 4 1-12
Words that stood out
- Veiled (see through uncertainly and confusion)
- Proclaim (we are here to serve)
- Proclaim (not ourselves only Jesus)
- Perplexed but not despairing
- Treasure in clay jars – fragile but long lasting
- Called (do not lose heart)
- Open statement of truth
- As above importance of honesty
- Light shine out of darkness
- Treasure in clay jars – Jesus is treasure
- Open statement of truth – importance of speaking out.
- WE are engaged in this ministry
- Treasure in clay jars vs Jesus within us?
- Extra ordinary power is of God not us
- Not Perplexed (tough in current situation)
- Extra power in clay jars – creation
- Open statement of truth – finding ways to share
CW led the meeting in a prayer
- APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
|Rev Caroline Walker||Barbara Day||Michael Harrison|
|Rev Alex Holmes||Jo Robinson||Andrew Morrison|
|Christopher Todd||David Lockley||Geoff Banwell|
|John Flindall||Rachel Feilden||Susie Filkins|
|Andy Filkins||Anne Harkness||Tony Day|
|Sharman Flindall||Sally Pickett||Ros Lockley|
- a) PMC (Partners in Missional Church) Chris Todd presented Susie Filkins written report.
Issue of food poverty was mentioned in context of cooperation with pubs
- b) The meeting welcomed and introduced themselves to Alex and Jo who both spoke of their first two weeks in the parish.
Barbara Day led the meeting in prayer of thanks for the arrival of Alex and Jo.
- a) Rector’s Points
CW reported on recent activities
- On line services – Easter – Thy Kingdom Come/24 prayer with Chapel – Pentecost – Breakfast church
- Interview and appointment of Alex
- Liaising with Diocese and Arrival of Jo
- Support of wedding couples and their marriages – four couples doing Marriage course
- Liaising with Sue – school – Governors New head to be appointed short list of three. Interviews in September
- List B applications and DAC forth coming visit
- We need someone join PCC as churchwarden for buildings
- Funerals: have taken a few. Despite small number significant and helpful
The meeting offered thanks and congratulations for the way the Rector had reacted to the lockdown.
- b) Children & families worker report. Sue has been furloughed during May – July so no report is expected.
Michael Walker led the meeting in prayer
- LEGAL COMPLIANCE: Complying with charity and church law
- a) The meeting approved the minutes of the PCC meeting held March 2nd 2020
- b) Matters arising not covered by main agenda.
Hemington Churchyard TD reported he had attended a Zoom meeting today of a pre contract meeting with CCT to ensure the PCC interests in the churchyard are protected. He has advised the insurers of the forthcoming work and will receive minutes of regular site meetings.
- c) Revisions to service pattern. Chris Todd presented the proposed changes agreed at the Standing Committee following Diocesan advice.
- No informal services
- Breakfast church will remain on Zoom
- Holy Communion one per week from Aug alternating between Rode / NSP who have sufficient space for distancing.
- Project services words where possible. If not use disposable orders or service
- No books
- No singing but may use music
- Individual communion cups – minimum handling of wafers
- Queue with distance
- Communion elements are offered but anyone who is uncomfortable should be relaxed if they opt out.
- People to be asked not to come to church if unwell
- Record parts of service and put online
- In one door out the other
- Keep under review and reassess at PCC 14 Sept.
- Evening and morning prayer outside at small churches
- Face covering? Awaiting clarity of government guidance
- Keep a Register (for track & trace)
Proposed: Chris Todd
Seconded: Sharman Flindall
Passed unanimously with one abstention.
Michael Harrison led the meeting in prayer for how we begin to come back physically.
Hardington Vale Safeguarding Report. (No activity so no report this time)
- a) Geoff Banwell presented a report giving an Update and impact of lockdown on parish finances (see written report)
GB explained and proposed the PCC adopt recommendation not to apply for help under the discretionary Parish support and relief.
Proposed Geoff Banwell
Seconded Rachel Feilden
Andrew Morrison led the meeting in prayer for the financial matters
- b) Tony Day presented a proposal to replace the Parish News copier with new machine (see written proposal)
Proposed Tony Day
Seconded Geoff Banwell
- BUILDINGS AND CHURCHYARDS:
St Mary’s church Laverton – external wall repairs. Request for list B approval.
The PCC supported the application
Proposed John Flindall
Second Rachel Feilden
- WIDER CHURCH: – Deanery/Diocese/National.
- a) CW and Jo Robinson attended a Diocesan synod
Bath & Wells are reasonably well off and expect a small surplus this year of £100k
However they are looking at resources
Deanery Synod has not met
- b) Charitable giving: held over from previous meeting. Our National Charity, Mercy UK has come to the end of the three year period of support, and needs to be changed.
Meeting voted on CAP and Safe Passage and voted by majority for Safe Passage.
Rachel will prepare a short piece for the magazines.
Anne Harkness led meeting in prayer for all three charities. Mission to Seafarers, Active and in touch and now Safe Passage.
- HEALTH & SAFETY:
- a) All policies have been signed off.
- b) PAT testing. Done in all five churches. The meeting thanked Bob Hill for undertaking these tests
- MATTERS FROM MINUTES OF THE STANDING COMMITTEE: none not already covered
- Arrangements for delayed APCM See Item 11 of minutes of meeting on Mar 2
Reports are in Hardington Vale news which will be published in August
- A.O.B Fergus Stewart has been accepted for reader training.
Chris Todd led the meeting in a prayer of thanks for Fergus being selected.
The Rector closed the meeting with prayer at 21:15
A J Day
Secretary to the PCC Dates of Next meetings
PCC Monday 14th September in St Lawrence Rode
APCM September 29th. In Norton St Philip Church